We are the only Long Island day camp to offer the
total camp experience with an extensive riding program!
Let your children find their passion here!
In 1943 Bill and Fran Thomas purchased a stretch of potato fields in the heart of Long Island, New York. From those humble beginnings their dream was realized: A summer day camp (founded in 1952) and year round riding school where families can enjoy all the gifts that horses offer, a place where children can spend their summers riding, playing, learning, and growing, and a place for a supportive community to share in the joys of horsemanship.
“This is where our roots are, this is where we became who we are.”
Camp Alumni, Mike Martuscello, 1969
Today, the Thomas School Day Camp and Long Island Ride School continues to be family owned and operated by Nancy Thomas, daughter of Bill and Fran. For over 70 years, our summer day camp has given thousands of children experiences and friendships that they cherish for a lifetime.
“My best friends today are the friends I made at Thomas School.”
Camp Alumni, Katie Rimmer, 1996
The gifts that horses have to offer:
- Caring for a horse creates a sense of Responsibility
- Interacting with a living being teaches Respect
- Creating a bond with a kind, gentle creature shows Compassion
- Being in control of an animal larger than yourself grants Confidence
- And the shared love for horses builds Friendships that last